Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Step Off Your Pedestal and Into Their Lives

Well, I think this is a little overdue, but here comes my word to the conservative evangelical church,since I promised it in my response to the liberal Christians. So I was raised in this group, so in a sense it's like I am talking about family and so I have less anger toward this group and a deep sense of wanting them to "get it".

One evening last weekend a dear friend of mine and I sat watching You Tube videos until 2 in the morning. You might think we were being typical twenty somethings just having a good time, but trust me, it was a little different. My friend and I have become immersed in and very passionate about the war for truth in the church and we watch video after video of John MacArthur vs. Brian McClaren, etc. For those of you who don't know those names basically they are the most conservative and liberal voices within the evangelical church, and I'm not even sure McClaren would claim to be part of the evangelical church. But that's not the point. Here is the point: after watching one of the more liberal speakers at a conference in the video speak about God's vast love for all of us, here was the conservative's response who posted it:GETTING ON TOP OF A LITERAL PEDESTAL AND YELLING ABOUT THERE BEING A HEAVEN AND A HELL AND FUTURE JUDGMENT AND GOD IS ALSO A GOD OF WRATH. Ok, is there anything untrue about this? I don't think so. It was the manner in which he was trying to convey this truth.

Too often in the conservative evangelical church, in holding on to the truth we have let go of the amazing model of love and service Christ gave us to serving the poor and those who didn't know Him. We've got our doctrine in our head right, but has it moved to our hearts? Not near enough. Christ did come to bring peace, He did come to feed the sick, cloth the naked, and bind up the broken hearted, He did! And in doing so He never once compromised the truth. Why don't we enter into broken people's lives more? Are we not broken too? The only difference is that somebody came alongside us and introduced us to the One who could mend our souls.

I have this assumption, that many of us in the conserative evangelical church came to know Christ through the sharing of some family member. That family member probably was also meeting your daily needs for food, and your needs for shelter, and your needs for love. They were meeting both you physical and your spiritual needs, right? At least this was the case for me. I knew my parents loved me, they showed me that everyday. So when they explained to me who Jesus was, it made sense. They had modeled His love so well that I got it. Of course, the Holy Spirit did a work in my heart too, but my family set a great foundation to understanding this love.

So when we think about those who do not know Christ yet, it seems essential to me that we step into their lives and build relationship. That we show them that we really care, much in the same way that I knew my parent's loved me before I knew Jesus loved me. That doesn't mean letting go of truth, it means living it!!

Oh church, we are supposed to look different than the world! They will know we are Chrstians by our love. And then when the tough questions come about truths such as eternal destinations, we have more respect and validity to be heard.

I fear that far too many of us, myself included, are far too concerned with what the world thinks of us. We don't want too be too different, too drastic, we want to blend into our society and speak in our comfortable circles about the truth. It isn't supposed to be that way! The irony of this is, that much of the world already thinks poorly of conservative Evangelical Americans. They think we are judgmental,intolerant, and have little concern for the poor and downcast. I would rather be thought radical and crazy because I step into uncomfortable circles for my Jesus, than intolerant and judgmental because of the pedestal I preach from. By all means, yes, PLEASE hold on to truth, the church is in crisis on doctrine. But just as much live a life of love to the least of these so that Jesus can do through you what He did through His own flesh when He walked this earth. This is the truest and best thing we can do for our Jesus.

2 comments:

judy said...

I think you said some really good things here, Laura, and I wrote a long comment that did not post (I'm still learning). Talk to you soon about this post.

judy

SPIES said...

This is very thoughtful, Laura. 1 Peter 3:15 says we should always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks about the reason for our hope. But that doesn't mean be obnoxious or annoying about the truth. It doesn't even mean standing on a street corner and preaching the truth. How do I know that? Because he goes on to say "but do that with gentleness and respect..." Wow. You nailed it. Thanks for stcking the knife and turning it a little bit. We all need to hear it.

By the way, Daniel 9. I did a whole series of messages in Brazil about that text. It is so pointed and moving. Thanks for sharing. I am not involved with the planning, but I have been nagging the planners: "make sure we have time to pray." Seems like a reasonable request, doesn't it?

Take care!
PS.: Tell you friend who lost her original comment to always highlight it and do a ctr+c before she hits the "publish your comment," I am in the habit of doing that now. You can go back to it and paste it immediately if you happen to lose it. Count that as part of my first pedantic suggestion today.