Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why Do I Cringe at the word "Humanitarian"?

Way to pic a lofty topic for my first real blog entry, right? I am a professing Christian who cares about the spiritual and physical needs of people. I try to live my life in a way that models this. So I grew up in the church, the kind of church, that "cared" about the poor, but didn't do a whole lot about their welfare on a continuous basis. But I got down the basics of the gospel for sure and understood the brevity of life and the seriousness of the afterlife.
Upon entering college, I was introduced to a group of Christians who were much more about the physical needs of the world, all truly in the name of Jesus, and I became a part of them for a season. I learned that the things these people were concerned about had a highly specified named called "humanitarian causes". I thought "that can't be bad, a group of people caring about the needs of people, the real physical needs of people." And it wasn't bad...not initially. But the more I was surrounded by these types of Christians, the more I wondered if they actually were only concerned with "humanitarian" causes. Slowly, I learned that some humanitarian Christians didn't believe what I thought were the basic tenets of the faith. They weren't so sure about their being a hell, if you didn't know Jesus you probably just ceased to exist after you died. This group also thought, the more liberal you were the more Christian you were. And so I found and continue to find myself thinking, several years removed from this intimate circle of people, that a humanitarian is this: A PERSON WITH LITTLE REGARD FOR THE HARD TRUTHS OF SCRIPTURE WHO WOULD RATHER IDENTIFY THEMSELVES WITH PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE BODY OF CHRIST WHO CARE FOR PHSYICAL NEEDS THROUGH SECULAR PROGRAMS.

And that is why I cringe. I in my human mind with friends who do not know the Lord do not like the thought that there is a hell that they are going to. But what I cringe at even more is so thoroughly thrusting the focus onto people's physical needs today that I change my beliefs to be more comfortable to my human mind than to what Scripture states. And I cringe even more because I see the humanitarian as one who has little more than cynicism and belittlement for those Christians who have missed the boat on the Christian privledge and duty to meet the needs of the poor and the oppressed. They would rather be a voice on Capital Hill than a voice in the church for the needs of the oppressed. And I cringe furthermore because they are looking to secular government to do what Christ has called the church to do.

I know my definition is not the true defnition of a humanitarian, but our experiences cause us to make associations and this is now my thoughts when I hear anything about "humanitarian" causes. So you think I am some simplistic right wing evangelical who missed the boat? If that's the case I think you missed the boat. But don't worry, I'll dive into my problems with that group next week. And the week after that, I'll dive into the biggest problem of all, my self and my lack of total surrender to Jesus Christ.

That's all my heavy thoughts for today.

3 comments:

rjr said...

YAY! welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. glad you're here. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and mind, a great blend. There really is no substitute for acting in the name of Jesus, otherwise the things we share and do are just stuff.What we should strive to give is real life. God bless you. Dade

Amanda said...

Your blog just made me think about the fact that a lot of people, Christians or "Christians," have the wrong idea of how to minister. I think you'll know what I mean when I quote Jonathan Edwards:

"It is God's message to show men how awful their state is before he brings the comfort of deliverance and healing. The gospel must be revealed as bad news before it can be revealed as good news."

After teaching for these four years with many students in poverty, I've learned that they don't truly benefit from food donations now and then and a Christmas present from an anonymous person. Many "humanitarians" try to win people over with their hard work and financial sacrifices, but that's not the way people are won. And people aren't for winning anyway. Jesus was convicting in Scripture. I don't remember him saying, "You poor, poor thing. Let me put you up in a nice hotel for the night and buy you some soup."

Those are just the things you made me think about. Thanks!